Frequently Ask Questions

When you come in for the Intake appointment with your Case Manager, please bring a copy of your prescription. You may bring an empty prescription bottle with a current label, or you can bring the prescription.

If you were given a payment plan, payments must be made as agreed by money order or credit card (Mastercard or VISA, effective December 1, 2016 Discover will be accepted). You can come into the PASAP office to make your payments, money orders or Cashier's Check may be mailed and via telephone with a credit card. Effective December 1, 2016, payments can be done on-line with a VISA, MasterCard or Discover card. A $2.00 convenience fee will be applied. Make sure that your name and social security number are included with the money order. Remember that you must keep a current address on file with PASAP and the Court at all times. If you have questions about your payment plan, please read the Financial Agreement before you call to discuss payments with the Finance Officer.

You must contact the PASAP office to discuss any appointments that you need to reschedule. A staff member will let you know if the appointment can or cannot be rescheduled. If you fail to attend or are late for a rescheduled appointment for any reason, your case may be returned to Court as noncompliant.

If your case is returned to Court as noncompliant for any violation of the participation agreement, PASAP staff will take no further action on your behalf. Your participation in PASAP is suspended pending the outcome of the Court hearing. At this point, it is too late for you to offer explanations to the PASAP staff. You will have an opportunity to explain your situation when you appear in Court.

You must complete VASAP requirements and complete the period of suspension or restriction as stated on your order before you can receive full driving privileges.


If you have been referred for a DUI, PASAP will directly notify DMV that you have completed program requirements on the last day of your period of restricted privileges or period of supervision. You may go to DMV the following day.


If you have an Ignition Interlock installed, the completion information will not be provided to DMV until PASAP has received the removal paper work. On the day that the device is removed from your vehicle, you must bring the removal paperwork to PASAP during business hours, which are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.

The Court has placed you on probation for a period of time as stated on the Order of Referral. The Order may be a written Order signed by the Judge or a form such as DC-265 or DC-260 that has been signed by the Judge. The Order may or may not allow you to drive. If you have been granted restricted driving privileges, keep in mind that your license is suspended and you may only drive to and from those places checked on the Order. If a PASAP staff member does not sign the Order of Referral, the privilege to drive expires 15 days from the date that the Judge signed the Order.


For a DUI 1st conviction, your license is suspended for one year; for a DUI 2nd conviction, your license is suspended for three years. You must complete VASAP for each separate DUI conviction in order to get your license back. For other alcohol or drug charges, such as underage possession, driving after consumption, alcohol related reckless, or 1st offender drug, your license is usually suspended from 6 months to one year. For some driving charges, there is no license suspension. However, if you have been ordered to enroll in and complete VASAP requirements, you must complete VASAP in order to get your license back. Remember, anyone convicted of a DUI must complete VASAP before they can get full driving privileges, even if the case has been revoked by the Court.

If you were convicted of a DUI, you must file Form FR-44 "Proof of Financial Responsibility”, which is proof of insurance, with the DMV. You can get the FR-44 Form from your insurance company. You are not required to file Form FR-44 for other alcohol/drug related convictions.

The restricted license order is valid for 60 days from the date of conviction after you enroll in ASAP and the order is signed by PASAP staff. After you meet with your Case Manager for the first time, you can go to DMV to obtain a hard copy Restricted License. This License is stamped with an “R”. However, if you have a requirement for an Ignition Interlock, it must be installed on your car before you go to DMV. We recommend that you wait at least 30 days from the date of conviction for the computer information to be documented at DMV headquarters in Richmond. You will be required to pay DMV a reinstatement fee.


While the Court may have granted a restricted license, if your license was already suspended at the time the Court granted a restricted license or it has been suspended or revoked for other reasons, such as failure to pay Court costs and fines, failure to have the Ignition Interlock installed, etc., the Court’s order for a restricted license is not valid and you will not get the restricted license from DMV. You may not drive.

The conditions of your restricted license are clearly spelled out on the “green sheet” or other paper form you were given in Court. These conditions may include: to and from ASAP and to and from work. If the Judge allows, you can be granted privileges to go to school or medical appointments, or drop off and pick up minor children in school.


When you drive, you need to carry the “green sheet” that lists your restricted privileges plus the hard copy of your restricted license, and any PASAP paperwork that assigns you to attend counseling or other classes. Also, the Court may have required you to maintain a Driver's Log, especially if you work irregular hours. The Log can be kept in a notebook and you need to record all your driving times and destinations in the Log book.


Finally, you must keep your restricted license up to date. If you change your address, job or hours of work, or have an Ignition Interlock removed, the Order needs to be amended by the Court. After the Order has been changed at the Court, you are required to return to PASAP for the license to be signed and sealed by PASAP staff. A copy of your amended Order will be put in your PASAP file. If you do not notify the Court of these changes, you will be in violation of the conditions of your license.


If you violate the conditions of your restricted license, such as driving at times and to places you are not allowed, and are caught, the car you are driving may be impounded for 30 days, whether it is your car or a car you borrowed. If you are convicted, an additional year suspension will be added to your suspension time and you will not be eligible for

As part of your conditions for restricted privileges, you may be required to have an Ignition Interlock installed on your vehicle. This device is a breath analyzer connected to your ignition. You blow into it when you start your car. If you have alcohol in your system, the car will not start. An Ignition Interlock may be ordered by the Court or required by DMV under certain circumstances, such as a high BAC at arrest, having a prior DUI conviction, habitual offender or multiple offender restoration. The device may not be removed until you have completed at a minimum 6 months with no violations.

You may not drive a vehicle until the device is installed on the vehicle. You have 30 days from the time of conviction to have the Ignition Interlock device installed. Before the device can be installed, you must provide information about your car and complete the required paperwork with PASAP so you can set up an appointment for installation. First offender DUI conviction, the Ignition Interlock device must be installed on one vehicle in your name. For DUI 2nd conviction, the Ignition Interlock device must be installed on all vehicles in your name. If you lease, rent or borrow a car, you must have a notarized letter from the owner along with the referral form for the device to be installed. If you decide not to drive a car until your suspension is up, the device must still be installed on your car(s) and monitored by PASAP for 6 months to get your license back.


The important thing to remember is that you cannot drive a car without an Ignition Interlock installed. There is, however, one exception. If you work for someone else who requires you to drive a company vehicle, the Court can allow you to drive that vehicle for work. However, if you own the company, you must put an Ignition Interlock on all the vehicles in your company. And, of course, you cannot drive a vehicle that requires a Commercial Drivers License (CDL), as a restricted license of any kind is not allowed for a CDL.

When you meet with the Case Manager, your schedule and other requirements will be explained to you. Your probation plan will include completion of a Victim Impact Panel, completion of an Education Intervention, or a combination of education and treatment, and case review appointments. Education classes meet for a minimum of 10 weeks and Treatment Counseling is determined by the substance abuse treatment program to which you are referred. In some cases, other types of requirements may be recommended.


Education classes are held at the PASAP offices as well as locations in Hampton and Williamsburg. Classes are available most evenings from 7:00-9:00 p.m. or 6:30-8:30 p.m. Some classes are available on Saturday mornings and there is a weekday morning class held from 9:00-11:00 a.m. Classes are two hours long and you are required to meet once a week on a specific day of the week for 10 consecutive weeks. Please note that classes or other appointments may not always be available at your convenience, so you will need to rearrange your schedule as needed.

PASAP business office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You may contact your Case Manager during those hours. Please keep in mind that Case Managers are often in Court and cannot immediately return all calls. In addition, Case Managers do not receive telephone calls at home.

If you leave a message for the Case Manager and your call has not been returned within 24 hours, please call again. However, do not call more than once in any 24 hour period.


If the Case Manager told you to call and leave a message, please be sure to leave your name and social security number and include all of the information that you were asked to provide. The Case Manager will not call you back unless additional information is needed. If you left a message, be assured that the Case Manager received your message.


There are some questions which the Receptionist can answer. However, if you have questions about your fees or your financial agreement, please speak with the Finance Officer.

You must follow restrictions per your court order. While under supervision, each PASAP participant is subject to breath and urine screens. Each time you come into the PASAP office, you may be given a breath analyzer test. Urine screens will be given on a random basis. If you test positive for any screening, staff will take action. This action can include referral to treatment, increased treatment, or returning your case to Court.

If you have already made travel arrangements for work or personal reasons, you must provide documentation to the Case Manager when you meet for the Intake appointment. Documentation may include confirmation of air line tickets, hotel reservations, verification of school trips, letters on company letterhead for work related training, etc... After you meet with your Case Manager and you are assigned to Treatment or Education, the only type of absence that will be approved is for a personal or medical emergency situation. Vacations, spring or winter breaks, Holidays, team sporting events, family reunions, overtime, and work are not considered emergency situations.